Most of us enjoy the conveniences of electronic devices and gadgets in this modern age. But few of us are aware of the possible health risks presented by the gadgets we use. These include our cell phones (also known as “mobile”), microwaves ovens, Wi-Fi routers, computers, and wireless appliances. There are main reasons why people are concerned that cell phones might have the potential to cause certain types of cancer or other health problems:
- Cell phones emit radiofrequency radiation (radio waves), a form of non-ionizing radiation, from their antennas. Parts of the body nearest to the antenna can absorb this energy.
- Over time, the number of cell phone calls per day, the length of each call, and the amount of time people use cell phones has increased.
- With the rise of so many cell phone towers, human beings are exposed to increasing levels of electromagnetic radiation. To find out how many are near you, visit http://www.antennasearch.com, and enter an address or a zip code in the search box.
What Is Radiofrequency Radiation?
Radiofrequency radiation is a form of electromagnetic radiation. The human body absorbs energy from devices that emit radiofrequency electromagnetic radiation. The dose of the absorbed energy is estimated using a measure called the specific absorption rate (SAR), which is expressed in watts per kilogram of body weight.
Research Publications on Effects of Electromagnetic Radiation (EMF)
2012 BioInitiave Report
The BioInitiative 2012 Report has been prepared by 29 authors from ten countries. There is a reasonable basis to conclude that RF-EMFs are bioactive and have the potential to cause health impacts. (View Full Report)
National Toxicology Program (NTP) Study
The NTP studies found that high exposure to RFR used by cell phones was associated with: Clear evidence of tumors in the hearts of male rats and some evidence of tumors in the brain and adrenal glands. (Read more…)
World Health Organization
The WHO/International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has classified radiofrequency electromagnetic fields as possibly carcinogenic to humans (Group 2B), based on an increased risk for glioma, a malignant type of brain cancer, and associated with wireless phone use. (View Press Release)
National Center for Biotechnology Information
Many studies have shown that electromagnetic fields can have destructive effects on sex hormones, gonadal function, fetal development, and pregnancy. So people must be aware of the negative effects of EMFs. (Read more…)
Must Watch Video: The Truth about Mobile Phone and Wireless Radiation | Dr. Devra Davis Lecture
Is Cell Phone EMF Radiation Harmful?
There is no doubt that too much exposure to Electromagnetic fields (EMFs) radiation can cause health problems. We are well aware that if we stay out in the sun too long, we get sunburned from the UV exposure. When we go to get an X-Rays, the technician would first want to know if you are pregnant because X-Rays can cause harm to the growing baby.
Although the science is still evolving, some laboratory experiments and human health studies have suggested the possibility that long-term, high use of cell phones may be linked to certain types of cancer and other health effects, including:
- Brain cancer and tumors of the acoustic nerve (needed for hearing and maintaining balance) and salivary glands
- Lower sperm counts and inactive or less mobile sperm
- Headaches and effects on learning and memory, hearing, behavior, and sleep
Children may be more at risk for harm from exposure to radiofrequency energy because radiofrequency energy can reach a larger area of a child’s brain than an adult’s brain.
Symptoms Related to EMF Exposure
The severity of signs and symptoms of EMF radiation sickness depends on how much radiation you’ve absorbed. Here are some health risks of EMF exposure you should be aware of:
- Insomnia / Sleep disorders
- Skin allergies
- Anxiety / Depression
- Brain fog
- Dizziness and vertigo
- Reduced melatonin
- HPA axis dysfunction (also known as adrenal fatigue)
- Hormone imbalances
- Cancer or increased cancer risk
Tips to Reduce Cell Phone EMF radiation
- Use a wired headset or speakerphone during calls to keep the phone away from your head and body.
- Choose hard-wired internet connections. Request non-wireless routers for internet access.
- Carry your cell phone away from your body (i.e. not in your pocket or bra).
- Turn wireless devices and connections off at night (phones, gaming devices, wireless routers, etc.).
- Texting reduces the length of exposure to the body. So Text more and keep call conversations short.
- Do not use your cell phone as an alarm. Do not keep it under your pillow and switch to airplane mode or turn it off if possible. If you must leave your cell phone on at night then keep it at a distance from where you sleep.
- Do not use them in cars, bus or trains as radiation increases as your phone tries to connect with each network antennae.
- Avoid using your cell phone when the signal is weak because there is an increase in their transmitting power in an attempt to connect to the nearest cell tower.
- Before handing over the phone to your kids to watch videos, download the videos first and put the phone on airplane mode.
- Choose a Smartphone with the lowest SAR (Specific Absorption Rate)
The majority of current studies suggested the need for additional, high-quality research. It often takes many years between the use of new cancer-causing agents and the observation of an increase in cancer rates, such as with tobacco and lung cancer. At this point, it’s possible that too little time has passed to detect an increase in cancer rates directly attributable to cell phone use.
Perhaps the safest route to take is to be safe, informed, and proactive, rather than passively becoming an experiential guinea pig. Carry your cell phone in a holster or pouch, or your purse or backpack instead of in your pocket as the distance is your friend. Follow the above tips and consider limiting the use of cell phones or use a speaker or hands-free device that places the cell phone away from your head/body or try using a trusted and lab-tested cell phone radiation shield. Be safe!